Sunday, February 24, 2008

autobiographies

Autobiographies are totally different from diaries. Autobiographies are written works that people publish and want to share with others while diaries most of the times are kept for personal reading, views and only sometimes are given to other people to read. When we had discussions about autobiographies, there was one person in my class that cannot differentiate between autobiographies and novels. Well, obviously autobiographies are printed in a novel way. In what way could it be compiled if is not using that way? When Dr Edwin asked who have ever read autobiographies in the class, some of my friends mentioned that they have read autobiographies about Princess Diana and the Sultan of Kelantan. I myself have read some autobiographies.

However, I chose to chicken out and not to mention them to Dr Edwin as I was afraid that he would laugh or tease e and considered them as not literature. As a matter of fact, some of the autobiographies that I have read are ‘My Side’ by David Beckham, Victoria Beckham’s autobiography of heels, hair and fashion, something about Christiano Ronaldo and Manchester United Football Club. Erm…obviously they are not literature at all! It is because they are merely about my field of interests which are football, Beckham and definitely not literature. I enjoyed reading these autobiographies as I can and tend to understand what the person’s feelings, opinions, emotions, why they chose to do certain actions and others. For example, before I read ‘My Side’, I tend to blame Alex Ferguson for selling Beckham to Real Madrid but after I read the autobiography, I tend to understand that are certain things that have encourage Beckham to play with Real. If I did not read this autobiography, I would not know what really happened and my judgment is absolutely going to be a bias one. Nevertheless, they are still not literature at all and I guessed I should seek more advices from Dr Edwin to choose the right autobiographies to read as a soon to be teacher like me.

No comments: