Sunday, March 9, 2008

History Boys

This movie is absolutely different from Freedom Writers. To me, this movie is more complicated compared to Freedom Writer. I think it is because it is indeed quite difficult for me to understand their language since the way they speak and talk are not the same as us or even the American. Plus, I get more expose to the Hollywood, American movies and dramas. So, I tend to understand them better. Luckily there were subtitle to help.

I think the issues in History Boys and Freedom Writers are not same. History Boys is about clever and excellent students that are called to study to prepare them for the examination to enter Oxford.
I can see that the teachers in the story have different style of approaches in teaching. The old teacher, Hector prefers to teach the students to memorize everything of the literature elements like poems or plays. As a result, I can see that the students are so skilful in memorizing. The can mentioned any lines that were asked to them. To me, Hectors’ styles of teaching are quite fun and interesting even though the students are memorizing it. He asked the students to do activities like role play and singing during his class. Meanwhile, Irwin tends to teach the students beyond the texts that they have learnt. It is more appropriate I guessed since they tend to give their own opinion on the texts that they learn. It also gives them space to get personally involve in the texts.

Still, History Boys should be watch by students like me because it helps me to open my mind to different styles of teaching besides how it can works on students. Perhaps, I can take it as model in my teaching line in the future.

No comments: